I've been working with some other folks in the puzzle game community to add features to Nullpomino. It's an open source, cross platform game that implements and expands upon puzzlers such as Tetris and Puyo Puyo. Some of my contributions include adding or fixing minute details in the core engine, cleaning up the source where I can, as well as a little bit of work here and there on things like the netplay server and client UI.

Intergalactic Planetary Super Showdown

This fun little project was made for the SJSU & Cogswell Collaborative Challenge over the course of one month. It's a strange blend of "Asteroids"-esque mechanics that come together in one frentic head-to-head game. Between constant e-mail correspondance with our designer at Cogswell and frequent meet ups at the SJSU Computer Science Club to chat about the game and, later in the game's development cycle, play test and produce assets, the game took shape pretty quickly. The basic concept of "circle planetoids, knock opponent into space" was set in our first brainstorm session. Based on the initial whiteboard sketches and stick figures, I don't think anyone realized that we'd end up with a game where you could shove a planet to try to crush your opponent before jumping to another to lob shots around the edge of the universe to peg them in the back of the head.

KGM (Java)

Much like the C & SDL version before it (see below), this Tetris fan game project was more of a learning experience than anything else; this is my first game written in Java and my first stab at Object Oriented Design. Playing with interfaces got me some cool things like interchangeable game modes, rotation rules, randomizers, and this nifty "many worlds"-esque replay tree feature, but the design quickly descended into a big ball of mud. It's another project of mine that didn't see widespread release due to unwieldiness and already well-established games in active development, but having learned from it made it a worthwhile experience nonetheless.

Qix Remake

This is the game that I produced for my high school senior project. While my previous efforts had essentially been straight reproductions, I wanted to tackle a project with a greater emphasis on design. At the time I was playing a fair amount of "Qix II," so I decided this would be a great opportunity to address some of its shortcomings; I wanted to try my hand at making something akin to the "Tetris: The Grand Master" or "Pac-Man" CE of the "Qix" world. Of course, it's not nearly as polished or complete as those titles, but I like the direction things were going in and would like to revisit the project at some point.


One of the oldies. This is basically an update of the engine used in the GBA version (see below) that I used as a learning exercise. It was never really intended for release, -- there were plenty of excellent and actively developed Tetris fan games at the time -- but it did teach me some things about developing for a PC environment. Once upon a time it may have cloned a specific game, but the current game type is a simple dynamic difficulty thing I was messing around with: get enough points and the gravity is set higher, with points decreasing over time to start and later increasing the total as you continue to survive. I never got around to increasing the difficulty after maximum gravity, but it was an interesting thought.


Ahh, the memories of my first "big" game -- a "Tetris: The Grand Master 2+" clone for the Game Boy Advance. The bulk of the code was in a terrible blob of a C file -- 1000+ lines if I recall correctly. The blobby programmer art and font are also quite lovely. (I used to have a version with working sounds that I tested with "borrowed" assets -- not available, for obvious reasons.) Despite all this, I managed to turn out a fairly competent reproduction using what information was available at the time.